There is really a lot of information on there. Go to the Wikihow to make a vase from a plastic bottle page to learn more about making this vase but I have posted the basic tutorial here.
Here is the finished product. Much more elegant than you would have thought for a recycled bottle, eh!
Anyhow, now for the tutorial.
You will need a plastic bottle, like the 500 ml kind that had pop in it, scissors and some decorative stones.
- Mark and cut the smooth middle portion of the bottle to give an even edge approx 7.5 to 8cm (3") above where you want the fluted rim to be.
- Measure and make straight, evenly spaced cuts all the way around the bottle. Cut the segments in half and then cut each of those in half to make even, thin strips.
- Carefully press and fold all the strips outward to make a level edge all the way around.
- Press the bottle upside down on a flat surface to ensure an even edge.
- Weave the tip of a strip over the next one and under the next two. Fold and crease it so that the tip is at the place shown here by the arrow.
- Fold and crease the next one the same way, but weave this one over two and under one.
- Fold the third strip and weave the same as the first one.
- Continue around in this pattern until the last three and tuck each one under the next until woven in completely.
- Be sure to maintain the regularity of the creases.
- Because the plastic will be very lightweight, add marbles, beach glass, or decorative stones in the vase to provide a weighted base.
- When you add the marbles and stones and allow the light to shine through your vase, it will produce beautiful, stained glass-like colors.