Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Make your own: Pancake mix

Pancake mix is very easy to make and you can actually use it to make a lot of other things other than just pancakes like doughnuts, scones, and batter for deep frying all kinds of things just to name a few examples. 
I won't be getting into all the recipes right now though, this particular post is about the mix itself and how to make pancakes with it.

You will need:
An empty container and any way you like to decorate it. This was one of the first things I made so it is not perfect (and doesn't have to be perfect) but it holds the stuff in and that's all that matters. Mine is an old coffee can with a piece pf paper I wrote my recipes for the mix on one side and a label on the other. Then I used packing tape to secure the whole thing together.


Recipe: 
3 cups flour
2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons white sugar

Mix it all into your container and multiply the recipe to fill a large container. (this coffee can needs this recipe doubled)
I suggest writing the recipe with the multiplied amounts for your specific container right on the side of the package. This will make it easier for you in the future to make more mix or if you are giving it away as a gift the other person will be able to make more for themselves.
This is a great gift for students or other people living on their own. 

Now I guess I should tell you how to make pancakes out of this. It's really easy.

1 cup mix
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon melted butter (optional)

Mix this all in a bowl and then cook 1/2 cup at a time in a frying pan coated in a little oil. (Like you would any other pancake)
I personally don't use the melted butter, and it is also easy to add to this batter things like bananas and chocolate chips, blueberries or some other berry, or anything else you like in pancakes.

Like I mentioned before, there are lots of other things you can make with this mix but I will leave that for another day in order to entice you to come back and keep reading this blog (I am so mean!) 
 So come back soon!



1 comment: